|Whose Voice Leads You? |
|[ John 10:1 - 10:10 ]|
|Faith by Hearing or Seeing?|
1. "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.
2. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep.
3. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
4. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.
5. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."
No Other Gate
6. Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.
7. Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.
8. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.
9. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.
10. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
|Faith by Hearing or Seeing? (10:1-5)|
In this opening paragraph, we come across one of the most foundational principles that should under-gird our faith: hearing is more important than seeing. All throughout chapter 10, we see this principle supported, “The sheep listen to his voice… he calls his own sheep by name… his sheep follow him because they know his voice… they will run away from [a stranger] because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice… they too will listen to my voice… my sheep listen to my voice.” Furthermore, in Romans 10:17, we read that “faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.” Our faith cannot be based merely on sight and trying to see visions of Jesus or pictures of His presence. After all, in 2 Corinthians 11:14 we read, “Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.” Brothers and sisters, is your faith based on seeing or on hearing?
No Other Gate (10:6-10)
What person wants things stolen from them? Who lives day in and day out hoping to be killed? Who seeks to have their whole life destroyed? No one in their right mind can answer, “Yes, I do” to any of those questions. To desire those things is to desire something that violently opposes one’s natural soul cravings for peace, security, love, acceptance, destiny, and significance. Interestingly though, there are individuals who desire this sort of masochistic life. These individuals are those who deny Jesus as their Lord and Savior. There is only one gate to eternal life and Jesus Himself is that gate. Whoever refuses to enter that gate is making themselves vulnerable to thieves, murderers, destroyers, and ultimately death, just like a mouse would make itself vulnerable to death if it shows itself to a large swarm of owls.
|- The more time we spend with Jesus, the better we will recognize His voice. Spend some time expressing your love to Jesus, then sit still and let Him speak to you through His presence and His word.|
- Have you entered through the gate of Jesus Christ? If you haven’t, what is stopping you? Are you aware of your vulnerability to the thief who only comes to steal, kill, and destroy?
A Letter to
|Intimate Father, I want to hear Your voice and know You better. Help me be still and grow in awareness of Your intimate presence, sweet voice, and overwhelming security. I will enter Your gate with thanksgiving in my heart. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.|